It is very important to us that you feel safe when you are in Colchester. Our Student Services team, and all our other staff are very friendly and helpful. You will meet them on the first day and you can talk to them at any time about the following things:
- Public transport
- Registering with the local police
- Information on doctors and dentists
- Opening a bank account
- Other queries which may arise during your stay
The Student Services Team take particular responsibility for welfare issues, but all staff are prepared to step in if a problem arises.
Care and Supervision for students under 18
CESC follows the guidance and good practice notes provided by the British Council in its advice for caring for students under 18.
- Students have to register at reception on arrival each morning
- They also report to reception before they leave the Centre and state where they are going
- All students under the age of 18 must return to their homestay provider for their evening meal by 18:00
- Curfews are as follows:
- 12-13 18:00
- 14-15 21:00
- 16-17 22:00
- If a student has a problem they should call one of the two 24-hour emergency phones
- A member of staff will answer and help. If the student is a member of a group, this member of staff will contact the Group Leader
- Students under 18 will be supervised on site by a member of staff during breaks
- Students under 18 are taught in closed groups
- Students aged 16/17 can be taught in open enrolment classes – if they have permission from their parent/guardian
- Students of different sex are not accommodated together unless the parent/guardian have specifically requested this
- Under 18s are never left unsupervised at night while in homestay accommodation
- Homestay providers are DBS checked
- There is a supervision ratio of 1:15 on excursions
- There is a separate section for Under 18s in the student handbook
- All students including under 18s are given a student card with emergency information.
- Teaching staff are always made aware if students in their class are under 18
- Everyone who has contact with students under 18 has undergone an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- CESC runs a supervised afternoon activity programme from 15:00 – 16:30 each day. It is important to note that students are unsupervised from the end of the afternoon activity until they return home to their homestay provider. Students under the age of 18 must return by 18:00.
- Students are allowed out in the evening if they have permission from their parent/guardian until the curfew time listed above. Students will be unsupervised during this period of time.
Child Protection and Safeguarding
CESC takes its responsibility to safeguarding children very seriously. We will ensure we provide a safe and supportive environment for all our learners, and implement procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of harm or abuse. Please read our Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Procedures and our Abusive Behaviour Policy and Procedure. If there is anything you are not sure about, please contact us.
The vast majority of students aged under 18 come to CESC in a group from their school with at least one leader. There are separate guidelines for the group leaders to help them to manage their group and to help them to assist staff at CESC. Group leaders are encouraged to accompany students on all excursions and all afternoon and evening group activities.